APHoMSA Strategy 2014-2020
To promote safe, secure shipping and a clean maritime environment within the Asia-Pacific region by bringing together senior maritime officials to exchange ideas and identify areas of cooperation.
Four pillars of APHoMSA
- Regional Cooperation
- Protecting the Marine Environment
- Safety at Sea, Including Seafarer Welfare
- Maritime Incident Response
Pillar 1: Regional Cooperation
- Develop a regional voice on matters of mutual interest.
- Promote a coordinated approach to technical cooperation activities in the Asia-Pacific region.
- Facilitate regional cooperation on matters of mutual interest to the Asia-Pacific region.
Pillar 2: Protecting the Marine Environment
- Prevent pollution of the marine environment in the Asia-Pacific region.
- Assist national authorities to develop the capability to respond quickly and efficiently to marine pollution incidents in the Asia-Pacific region.
Pillar 3: Safety at Sea, Including Seafarer Welfare
- Improve the safety of shipping in the Asia-Pacific region.
- Ensure the living and working conditions of seafarers operating in the Asia-Pacific region meets international standards and community expectations.
Pillar 4: Maritime Incident Response
- Assist national authorities to develop the capability to respond quickly and efficiently to maritime environmental incidents and persons in maritime and aviation distress situations in the Asia-Pacific region.
- Maintain a consolidated list of technical cooperation activities planned by member states.
- Inform member states of training courses, regional seminars and staff exchange opportunities in the region.
- Encourage the development of agreements among national authorities.
- Facilitate the provision of regional expertise to national authorities to address areas of need.
- Exchange information on emerging regional trends and potential risks.
- Share information on new technologies and how they can be used to promote safe, secure shipping and a clean maritime environment.
- Foster person-to-person links between maritime agencies in the Asia-Pacific region.
Download the strategy